Friday 5 August 2011

Tryst with the Gadget called Camera...

It’s always been a pleasure to have a camera in my hands. I still remember the day when as a kid I got the first camera and it was a Hot Shot, in 1985.

Hot Shot
My Mom got it from the Army CSD Canteen. It was so much fun to shoot with that camera. Then came…couple of Yashica’s (with Flash) which became a part and parcel of our daily lives. Things moved on…and I got busy with other stuff in life, trying out various career options - finally settled as a Graphic Designer in 1994. The Camera still continued to fascinate me; but remained restricted to Birthday Parties and other Family Outings. Finally comes the first digital camera in my life - Olympus C170.

Olympus C170

It was a different experience all together, you shoot, you like, you keep and copy it on your computer, you don’t like the shot - you delete it! It was fun but I got a bit restricted trying out manual features like exposures and shutter speeds. This cute little gadget stayed there with me for a year and now my 12 year old daughter uses it for her school projects and to shoot here and there.

I knew inside - I had to try out something more advanced and I got my first hand on the SLR on a trip to UK - with my then Boss Sid, known as a gadget freak. It was obvious to find the SLR with him - The Canon Rebel XT, with a Sigma Zoom lens mounted on it.


Canon Rebel XT
I spent some very good time there in London shooting that beautiful city and its famous monuments, exploring even more to handle Exposure and Shutter Speed settings. During the same time we (the company) opened an account with iStockphoto; as being in the Web Design business we often needed images which were Royalty Free and within our budget, that’s how I got addicted with the site in 2004. In 2007, I joined iStockphoto as a contributor and bought Canon 400D. Then what? As predicted, I was with my Camera everywhere we used to go and ask my family members to pose for me. Initially they like it but sometimes they would feel irritated. But they all have been so co-operative till date.

As I started getting good responses from iStockphoto, I got a pair of Studio Lights. After all the experiments and late night shoots with my friends (who were indeed very co-operative too), some good results were expected. The next level was to upgrade my camera, and I opted for Canon 5D Mark II after an extensive research.

Canon 5D Mark II 
The story continues…watch out for the next addition…till then Cheers! And have a good day!

Keep Sharing
Vickramh

1 comment: